During the German occupation, the new building was used by a school of German nurses and social workers. Soon after the end of WWII in 1945, the school refreshed its activities, even though the school building was in poor condition as a result of the war operations in Brno. Yet in 1948, the school offered the following courses: a two-year vocational school for women’s professions, trade clothe sewing, a course for ladies tailoring, an arranging course, a one-year course of higher education, a four-year course of nutrition, and a professional higher education of practical dietetics. A new concept of girls’ education appeared in 1949, focusing on general education and preparation for practical skills of specific professions. At that time, a social and medical higher education programme was established there.
In 1951, our teachers of clinical dietetics were involved in an extraordinary initiative of establishing a diet consultancy at the University Hospital in Brno as the first in our country.
In the 1950s and 1960s new courses entered the curriculum: a course of dental technicians - the first 64 dental technicians graduated in 1960, a two-year course of rehabilitation specialists, a two-year course of dental nurse in 1963 - as the first time when such secondary education was opened to primary school leavers, and a four-year course of Optician.
Secondary Medical School and Higher Vocational
Medical School Brno, Merhautova, State budget institution
613 00 Brno
Phone: +420 545 576 263
602 00 Brno
Phone: +420 543 247 951